RE: F Horn in brass bands (fwd)

Another factor that I haven't heard discussed regarding the F-Horn in a
brassband is the technical difficulty of the horn parts vs. the
abilities of each kind of horn.  Remember that the F-Horn is playing,
essentially, an octave higher than the Eb with regards to the harmonics
of the horn and blowing an air column nearly twice as long.  The first
factor puts the harmonics so much closer together that it's really
really (REALLY) hard to hit them accurately and reliably.  The second
factor simply makes it hard to get around a lot of notes quickly because
of the increased inertial mass of that longer column of air.

To use a previously mentioned example, the Conzertstuck in F major,
op.86 by Robert Schumann is widely considered one of the most difficult
horn parts in the orchestral literature, yet the stuff that, for
example, Sparke or Wilby writes every day for horns is far, far more
difficult.

KPetersen@xxxxxxxxxxxx