Re: French Horns

On 16 May, brassman <brassman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes Adrian..........
> I WAS one lucky sod (whatever that is).......

Just an affectionate British expression.

> Spent many a evening with
> Johnny working through the night....  I know you can relate to that.

You are bringing back memories of my early days as an orchestrator and
copyist now. Working sometimes for a week non-stop without seeing my bed.
But the experience was invaluable. I tend to have a more relaxed work
schedule now.

> I'm afraid I'm too young to have worked on Cuban Fire.  That was
> recorded in 1956 in New York City right after the Kenton Band came back
> from a tour of Great Britain. I'm sure using 2 french horns was either a
> budget consideration or Stan Kenton's decision..  Knowing Johnny, he
> would have used 4 french horns... but that's a good question.  I'll ask
> some of the players that were on the recording date.  Cuban Fire has
> been released on CD, Adrian.  I have Johnny's original scores... talk
> about luck.

Oh boy! I'd love to see those scores.

> The mellophonium was designed specifically for the Kenton band by Conn
> with the guidence of Stan Kenton and Johnny Richards. They wanted a bell
> front instrument that could cut thru that massive sound and something
> that resembled a french horn sound.

Well they had the first quality, but nothing like the second unfortunately.

> They played them in "F"  using trumpet players, Ray Starling being the
> best of the lot.  Real French horn players would never go near a
> mellophonium.

They would have been be an easier double for a trumpeter to play (despite
the pitch) than for a hornist. The mouthpiece would be too big for the
latter.

> Besides, most French horn players couldn't swing... at least in those
> days.

No, but they can be written in a straight role without upsetting the swing
phrasing. I am occasionally invited to direct the BBC Big Band and am
given the special privilege of being able to augment with 4 horns and a
tuba. I love that sound. And what is more, the horn players always appear
to enjoy being part of that environment.

>  I too have a mellophonium hanging in my den.  Great looking
> instrument.... too bad they had so many intonation problems.

I don't remember that so well. I always had mine pitched in Eb. It was an
easy instrument to blow from what I can remember.

> I would be happy to make you a copy of "Big Fat Brass."  Now that's a
> real classic in brass writing.

I would really like that Mark. I will write you privately so we don't get
into trouble with the copyright police. Maybe we can do some swaps.

Cheers, Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/