Re: (Derek Garside) was no subject

Nigel ....You are right on the money......

If you were to ask Maurice Murphy, Jim Shepherd, James Scott, John
Berryman, John Hudson, David Read and a host of other excellent  "end
chair"  men, I'm sure they would all agree that Derek Garside was "one of a
kind" and the finest Principal cornetist there ever was. His rendition of
Cleopatra and Silver Showers have never been equalled.  Does it sound like
I'm a fan?

To the young members on the list...... I would suggest you find someone
with those classic CWS recordings with Alex Mortimer conducting from about
1958 through 1961 and sit down and educate yourselves.  I never tire of
listening to them.

Just a side note..........
After we recorded Phil Smith's CD, "Escapade", Bram Tovey (who conducted
it)
and I were listening to the old recording of Derek playing Cleopatra,  and
he said
"I wish I had heard this before we recorded it."  When Derek Garside came
to NYC about 3 years ago, Phil Smith told me he was really upset that he
was unable to attend the concert and clinic because of his commitments with
the New York Philharmonic.......

Mark Freeh  (NYC)