Re: Why the oboe tunes the orchestra (fwd)

On Sun, 17 May 1998 brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> P.S.  I have found Passport Design's ENCORE program to be buggy and
> their help desk utterly impossible to reach.  Several friends of mine
> use FINALE and, steep learning curve aside, swear by it.  I've seen
> score and parts from FINALE and they look really sharp - nearly typeset
> quality.
>
> One of the greatest advantages of any of these programs in my mind is
> the ability to listen to your work and use your ear to 'proof' it out
> for errors before pulling the score and parts -- TAKE NOTE MAECEANAS
> (publishers of Lowry Sketchbook).  And, of course, there are no copying
> errors in the parts as well.

Maeceanas use Sibelius, which does have this facility.  My guess is they
expected a few deliberate 'wrong notes' :)  And Sibelius does 'have
typeset quality'

Mind you, Wilby's handwritten score of Pagannini has quite a few errors in
it.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass