Re: French Horns

On 16 May, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adding a flugel is sensible for tone colour, and bass trombone makes the
> tenor less lonely... though personaly I dislike pairs of trombones, very
> hard to score for effectivly.

No more so than a pair of anything else. In small brass combinations, the
more different instruments there are, the more interesting becomes the
contrast of tone colour in the orchestration. The bass trombone has a
darker tone to the tenor trombone. Although they are in the same family,
the baritone sounds different to the tenor horn or cornet. The euphonium
sounds different to the bass tuba. Likewise, at the top end, it is nice to
include the little Eb, and fat flugel sound, rather than just 4 Bb cornets
or trumpets.

In a big instrumentation such as the BB, you have the best of both worlds,
pure (complete and self sufficient in harmony) sections, and contrasting
sections (saxhorns, trombones and tubas).

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/