Re: Competing in the U.S.A. (fwd)

At 10:50 AM 5/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
>you think that concert bands are a weak waste of time?  Concert and symphonic
>bands play some of the most inspiring and beautiful literature ever written
>for any type of band.  Don't try to tell me that you can play "Linconshire
>Posy" or "light Cavalry Overture" or any of the other wonderful "band" pieces
>can be done any credit by a brass band.

Maybe the "concert bands are a weak waste of time" comment is not so much
about what the potential of these types of bands are as much as a comment
about the standard of many of these type of bands. Since coming to the US I
have played in 2 such bands and have left both very soon since the standard
was so bad. Basically no-one gave the impression that they practiced and it
was more of a social thing rather than trying to make good music. Both
bands were much larger than a regular BB and it seemed like there was
security in numbers so no-one really bothered. I'm sure there are good
concert bands out there but once you've played in a decent BB they do seem
like a weak second best.

Paul