Re:Willy Lang fanclub!

Clyde wrote:

>When I was a little boy (8 - 14) (1946 - 1951), Willy Lang was one of my
>heroes.  "Bless This House"  and "Facilita" come to mind for certain. My
>teacher, Mr. Best (1879 - 1957) always said, "Willy takes each note and
>wraps it in silverfoil, before sending it along to us".   About a year
>or so ago, with the help of a list member, I was able to write Mr. Lang
>and tell him, in greater detail, essentially that which I have told
>you.  I received a WONDERFUL letter in return!  If any of you on this
>list "owe" someone a similar letter - why not take time, right now, and
>write it.

I was lucky to play with BTM Band when Jim Gourlay persuaded Bill Lang to
play 4th man down for us (just after he'd finally retired from professional
playing).  He was a rwally great guy and took to the local beer (Brains
Dark) very well.  My favourite moment was when Jim (talking of the low C
sharps at the beginning of the 3rd movement of Seascapes) said "Mr. Lang, I
don't like to criticise a player of your calibre but your bottom C sharps
are sounding a little sharp to me."  To which he received the response: "Mr.
Gourlay, when you've been playing brass instruments as long as I have,
there's one thing you'll have learnt - it's better to be sharp than out of
tune!"

Sadly my great inspiration as a young musician, the great John Fletcher,
died tragically young in 1987.  Fortunately there is a legacy of recordings
and publications by which he will always be remembered and can still act as
an inspiration to others.

Peter Denton
Development Officer, National Brass Band Centre

(but these comments are still mine and may not directly reflect official
policy of either BFBB or BBHT)