Re: Necessity of a 4th trombone, also baritone scoring

On 16 May, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, the baritones are useful as a pair, but most scoring uses them in
> conjunction with other section, ie splitting the 2nd off as a 4th horn
> whilst the 1st doubles euph or solos at the 8vb.

The baritones have always been an obstacle for me. The most sensible thing
(to me anyway) is to combine them with the tenors to make a horn quintet.
I would be much happier with one bari less and one trombone more. With
this in mind I sometimes split them so that one plays as a 4th horn and
the other as a 3rd trombone, which is one (nowhere perfect) way of
simulating a trombone quartet.

> Whilst vaguely on the subject, what are people views on the modern
> scoring of B1/H2/B2 for a low horn trio?

That is ideal if you want the baritone sound to predominate, so long as
you keep the tenor clear of those awkward 1+3 valve combinations, and I
think better than combining baris and euphs. I often dovetail the tenors
and baris in a H1-B1-H2-B2 voicing. The solo horn would either be resting,
or doubling the cornet line, or playing the top line of the horn quintet
with similar dovetailing.

A similar voicing to this is occasionally used in the big band to give the
tenor sax the lead, ie, T1-A2-T2-bari (A1 tacet).

> (+)  Do any other bass trombonists out there dislike playing the 5th
> above the bass in the low register?  I always find it hard to balance,
> and don't like the way the tone is supported only by the basses.  I'd
> rather swap with an Eb, then you get more of a ring to the sound... just
> don't like the scoring, I suppose.

I'm sure that every bass 'bonist would rather play the bass note (root) in
preference to the 5th. When the low 5th is required, dividing the tubas
works well, though more weight should be given to the root, ie, a 1-3
divisi is better than 2-2. The 2nd euph is also useful for supplying the
low 5th.

Hey Alistair, I think we are beginning to agree on more things now. This
won't do. Disagreement is much more fun ;-)

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/