Bands in Schools (was:Competing in the U.S.A.)

Dee & Paul Rothery wrote:

> Maybe the "concert bands are a weak waste of time" comment is not so much
> about what the potential of these types of bands are as much as a comment
> about the standard of many of these type of bands. Since coming to the US I
> have played in 2 such bands and have left both very soon since the standard
> was so bad. Basically no-one gave the impression that they practiced and it
> was more of a social thing rather than trying to make good music. Both
> bands were much larger than a regular BB and it seemed like there was
> security in numbers so no-one really bothered. I'm sure there are good
> concert bands out there but once you've played in a decent BB they do seem
> like a weak second best.
>
> Paul

That is exactly what it is like here in Brisbane.  After hearing the concert bands
around town I would have to say that the standard of brass bands in Brissie is
much higher than its concert bands.

And....to add insult to injury.....most schools have concert bands with a huge
amount of WW and often lacking a decent amount of brass......yet there is much
more need for brass players in the general communuty than WW or even string
players.  Yet........there are NO brass bands in the school system in Brisbane
........what a waste!!!!!