Re: Vibrato

Ngbland wrote:

> I agree with Andy woolers comments on trumpet/cornet players.
>
> As a trumpet/cornet player i would like to add a little more to the comments

Lets get one thing clear: ARE YOU A CORNET PLAYER OR A TRUMPET PLAYER?  A cornet
is not a trumpet and vice verca.  The instruments are just as different as a
organ and a accordeon (with the trupet beeing the untuned accordeon when we are
talking about brassband).  Yes, you can make sound on borth of the instruments,
but tou can never get real good on both.

> Whilst trumpet playing may slightly damage the tone on a cornet
> it can only be a bonus to play different styles and improve players
> musicianship (i.e transposing, jazz phrasing,swing rhythms)

SLIGTHLY DAMAGE THE TONE (????)  If you play trumpet as your main instument,
your cornet sound is TOTALY damage and you should stay long away from the
traditional British Brass Band.

> traditional brass bands must realise this is the modern age
> and  brass bands do play more up tempo music which benefits
> from trumpet playing and does not benefit from sounding like
> P McCann
>
> Neal
> Trumpet/Cornet player

 THE MODERN AGE,  What do you mean by that????????   The brass band tradition is
over 150 yars and have developed from day one.  And a good and musicaly
developement is nesecerry to get a audiece, but the development must be in the
tradition.   There is one thing I just cant understad;  WHY do all these trumpet
and/or french-horn player comes into the brass-band movement when all you want
to do is to destroy it?  In my opinion it is because the brassbands have more
intersing music than the wind-bands, and thet there are way to few "profesional
chairs" in the orcestras for the horde of trumpeters getting out of univerity.
Therefore they join the brassbands and when they are inn they imidietly start
reforming it to a "symphonic" souding band of brass players.

Why do we, the traditionalists, accept this interferece.  What would have happen
if we had come to a wind band/symphony orcestra with our brilliant Eb-tenorhorn
palyers, our exelent Sopranos .........  Would the "winders" accept it like we
accept the trumpetsound of our trumpetplayers?  Definetly NOT.

  Trond  Otto Berg
  Traditionalist (that think P.McCann is the best sounding cornetplayer in the
last 20yars)