Re: Re: Competing in the U.S.A. (fwd)

>Maybe the "concert bands are a weak waste of time" comment is not so much
>about what the potential of these types of bands are as much as a comment
>about the standard of many of these type of bands.

Would it be fair to say you went into this with a bias?
Or was it culture shock?

>Since coming to the US I
>have played in 2 such bands and have left both very soon since the standard
>was so bad.

If only the justice system was so swift. Don't brass bands have a poor standard band?

>Basically no-one gave the impression that they practiced and it
>was more of a social thing rather than trying to make good music.

IS that really so bad?

>Both bands were much larger than a regular BB and it >seemed like there was
>security in numbers so no-one really bothered. I'm >sure there are good concert bands out there but once >you've played in a decent BB they do seem like a weak >second best.

You may be right Paul, but you'll never know till you've played in a good wind/concert band. Your lack of knowledge of the idiom is axiomatic.
BTW, don't even consider going to play in a community orchestra. You're in for a hell of a shock.

Ima