Webster vs McCann -Reply

>>> "BrassBand Police" <lestrade@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/14/98 09:54am >>>
To Ron Grice - the "true" brass band lover......

BBPwrote:
You are totally off base about Phillip McCann.  He and his vibrato
held  the brass band movement back single handedly for 30 years.  Unfortunately
he is still an influence. There are other "true" brass band lovers that would
differ with you.

I am very sorry and not knowing your name, nor your band (are you playing?), nor
your roots, but how long are you listening to brassband?
Have you ever heard McCann's playing in the70's and 80's? I guess not.
It seems you are just telling what you hear from others. Those were the days
being principal of Dyke meant something. The best cornet players are those how
can actually reach McCann's sound. Take Ian Porthouse, Graeme McCulloch, Webster
in his old days (see next remark), the lad who was principal to YBS before Ian,
Russell Gray also in his early days, and I am sure there will be some others.
They are special because they trie to match McCann's sound. The rest are just
good players, but not special, like Matthew Baker (sorry Les).

>>By the way, have you ever heard of Roger Webster?  Although I am
not always keen on his vibrato, McCann could never even come close
to him as a player.  And don't forget the master,  Derek Garside.
<<

Roger is an outstanding player.The phrase about PM not coming close is rubbish.
You don't know what you are talking about. PM is better at high and low notes,
is technically better (listen to his Czardas, Carnival of Venice and so manu
others), can play real ppp,  and so on,... On lyrical playing I don not even
want to argue.
I agree PM would never play Goedicke, but why should he?
By the way, I heard Roger last weekend at the Europeans. It is a shame he
sounded as if he does not play in a band anymore, like Steven Mead.
Both are of course tremendous players who have proved a lot, but they were left
behind by the principals of YBS, and Brighouse.
Yes, take Morgan Griffiths. Another guy who prefers the 'old' style and still
playing pieces like 'Rule Britannia' instead of the acrobatic stuff Meady is
playing. Well, if you are a good listener you should notice the difference, else
ask somebody else.
By the way, CWS came 6th and even more behind in Connotations where as you know
you have quite some cadenzas for cornet and euphonium.
Maybe it's because Parkes was in the box, but to my part the Major was right
indeed.

Cheers,
Edy Van Asch