Re: was v ibrato (now seems like anything)

Well Said !!!!  Trond,   100% spot on.

But be careful, Norm will probably pick you up on your spelling if nothing
else.

Does this mean that Phillip's fan club is now you, me and Ed?

This is of course not counting the audiences around the U K and Europe.

Ron Grice.
Principle!!! fan  (must get the title right)
Australia

----------
> From: Trond Otto Berg <trober@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Vibrato
> Date: 19 May 1998 21:07
>
> Ngbland wrote:
>
> > I agree with Andy woolers comments on trumpet/cornet players.
> >
> > As a trumpet/cornet player i would like to add a little more to the
comments

> Lets get one thing clear: ARE YOU A CORNET PLAYER OR A TRUMPET PLAYER?  A
cornet
> is not a trumpet and vice verca.  The instruments are just as different
as a
> organ and a accordeon (with the trupet beeing the untuned accordeon when
we are
> talking about brassband).  Yes, you can make sound on borth of the
instruments,
> but tou can never get real good on both.
>
> > Whilst trumpet playing may slightly damage the tone on a cornet
> > it can only be a bonus to play different styles and improve players
> > musicianship (i.e transposing, jazz phrasing,swing rhythms)
>
> SLIGTHLY DAMAGE THE TONE (????)  If you play trumpet as your main
instument,
> your cornet sound is TOTALY damage and you should stay long away from the
> traditional British Brass Band.
>
> > traditional brass bands must realise this is the modern age
> > and  brass bands do play more up tempo music which benefits
> > from trumpet playing and does not benefit from sounding like
> > P McCann
> >
> > Neal
> > Trumpet/Cornet player
> >

>  THE MODERN AGE,  What do you mean by that????????   The brass band
tradition is
> over 150 yars and have developed from day one.  And a good and musicaly
> developement is nesecerry to get a audiece, but the development must be
in the
> tradition.   There is one thing I just cant understad;  WHY do all these
trumpet
> and/or french-horn player comes into the brass-band movement when all you
want
> to do is to destroy it?  In my opinion it is because the brassbands have
more
> intersing music than the wind-bands, and thet there are way to few
"profesional
> chairs" in the orcestras for the horde of trumpeters getting out of
univerity.
> Therefore they join the brassbands and when they are inn they imidietly
start
> reforming it to a "symphonic" souding band of brass players.
>
> Why do we, the traditionalists, accept this interferece.  What would have
happen
> if we had come to a wind band/symphony orcestra with our brilliant
Eb-tenorhorn