Re: Vibrato

In the Message regarding "Re: Vibrato" dated 19 May 98, Trond Otto Berg
<trober@xxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> Lets get one thing clear: ARE YOU A CORNET PLAYER OR A TRUMPET PLAYER?  A
cornet  is not a trumpet and vice verca.  The instruments are just as
different as a  organ and a accordeon (with the trupet beeing the
>untuned accordeon when we are  talking about brassband).  Yes, you can make sou=
nd on >borth of the instruments,
> but tou can never get real good on both.

Strongly disagree with this! There are plenty of players over here who
were damn fine cornet players then went on to the music colleges where the
choice for many had to be trumpet. They then went on to be both damn fine
trumpet players and cornet players.

> SLIGTHLY DAMAGE THE TONE (????)  If you play trumpet as your main instument,
> your cornet sound is TOTALY damage and you should stay long away from the
> traditional British Brass Band.

imho, this is nonsense! Where do you think bands outside of the top
section are going to get their cornet players is you alienate anyone who
happens to also play trumpet? And what about youngsters - they're not
being taught cornet by the peri teachers, should we ignore them too?

>  WHY do all these trumpet
> and/or french-horn player comes into the brass-band movement when all you want=

> to do is to destroy it?

Sorry to disagree again but for many, they are simply returning - and none
of us want to destroy it either.
You only have to look at the number of CD's being released all with
swing/rock/pop/jazz etc etc on them. The bands that play these effectively
will often have people who have worked in those idioms.
People often mention Alan Morrison when comparing cornet players - now
there's someone who had a period playing trumpet and it makes a difference
- for many of us, for the better too.

> Why do we, the traditionalists, accept this interferece.  What would have happ=
en
> if we had come to a wind band/symphony orcestra with our brilliant Eb-tenorhor=
> palyers, our exelent Sopranos .........  Would the "winders" accept it like we=

> accept the trumpetsound of our trumpetplayers?  Definetly NOT.

A lot of my band play with an orchestra, some play with a wind band too.
And all of them have gained from the experience.

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk