Re: Webster vs McCann -Reply

You all wrote: my HO at the bottom:

----------
>From: Edy Van Asch <EVanAsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Webster vs McCann -Reply
>Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 16:24:10 +0200

>To Ron Grice - the 'true' brass band lover......
>
>BBPwrote:
>You are totally off base about Phillip McCann.  He and his vibrato
>held  the brass band movement back single handedly for 30 years.  Unfortunately
>he is still an influence. There are other 'true' brass band lovers that would
>differ with you.
>>>>

>I am very sorry and not knowing your name, nor your band (are you playing?), nor
>your roots, but how long are you listening to brassband?
>Have you ever heard McCann's playing in the70's and 80's? I guess not.
>It seems you are just telling what you hear from others. Those were the days
>being principal of Dyke meant something. The best cornet players are those how
>can actually reach McCann's sound. Take Ian Porthouse, Graeme McCulloch, Webster
>in his old days (see next remark), the lad who was principal to YBS before Ian,
>Russell Gray also in his early days, and I am sure there will be some others.
>They are special because they trie to match McCann's sound. The rest are just
>good players, but not special, like Matthew Baker (sorry Les).
>
>>>By the way, have you ever heard of Roger Webster?  Although I am
>not always keen on his vibrato, McCann could never even come close
>to him as a player.  And don't forget the master,  Derek Garside.
><<
>
>Roger is an outstanding player.The phrase about PM not coming close is rubbish.
>You don't know what you are talking about. PM is better at high and low notes,
>is technically better (listen to his Czardas, Carnival of Venice and so manu
>others), can play real ppp,  and so on,... On lyrical playing I don not even
>want to argue.
>I agree PM would never play Goedicke, but why should he?
>By the way, I heard Roger last weekend at the Europeans. It is a shame he
>sounded as if he does not play in a band anymore, like Steven Mead.
>Both are of course tremendous players who have proved a lot, but they were left
>behind by the principals of YBS, and Brighouse.
>Yes, take Morgan Griffiths. Another guy who prefers the 'old' style and still
>playing pieces like 'Rule Britannia' instead of the acrobatic stuff Meady is
>playing. Well, if you are a good listener you should notice the difference, else
>ask somebody else.
>By the way, CWS came 6th and even more behind in Connotations where as you know
>you have quite some cadenzas for cornet and euphonium.
>Maybe it's because Parkes was in the box, but to my part the Major was right
>indeed.
>
>Cheers,
>Edy Van Asch

Personally I cannot abide McCanns permanent warbling. Sounds more like birdsong than cornet playing to me. I want a straighter and fuller sound that is adaptable to different styles and not one dimensional. Yes I want warmth and some vibrato when needed b
ut not this constant yayayayaya.

Vibrato is a device to be added and removed as required not a starting point for a sound. All of the players listed are good but great??? All that defines one from another is personal taste. I would have 10 Matt Bakers before 1 McCann but that does not va
lue or devalue either - it is just my taste. Great is Marsalis or Murphy - pick up a trumpet and make it sound like a piccolo, flugel and cornet - with or without vib. - that is great!!!

Regards to all

Jeremy Wise