Re: Brass Band of Battle Creek CD "Brassmatazz"

Onya Lloyd, I agree. That band really swings. Then again, the writing helps.
There are those on this list that won't even consider it 'cos it doesn't have
any *test* music on it. If only we could convince them to listen to it. And
yes, they do use trumpets.

Norm

Lloyd_Hiscock wrote:

> I recently received this CD and thought there might be some "lurkers"
> interested in hearing some very unique writing, playing and sound from a
> brass band.
>
> You can find out more about BBBC and their other CDs at
> http://www.bbbc.net/  and, you can hear a sample ...
>
> Here are some caveats, thoughts and reactions .. in no praticular order!
>
> If you don't like big band jazz, my guess is you won't like this either.
> But if you enjoy Ellington, Basie, Dorsey, Miller, (to mention a few)
> you'll be pleasantly surprized at this CD. Whatever your taste, it's
> good music.
>
> The band has IMHO a definite "bright" sound in the cornet (trumpet?)
> section, although the liner notes list a cornet section it sounds like
> there are trumpets on many occasions.  There's also a piano (Jeff
> Kressler) and guitar (Rick Whitehead). Not to mention a drummer who
> knows and can play jazz. The band swings, quite aside from the guest
> soloist Marvin Stamm, trumpet and flugel. There are solos by other
> members that illustrate the jazz tradition and influence in the playing.
> Vince DiMartino, for example.
>
> (Just an aside, the album lists 1 Sop, 5 solo cornets, 1 Rep, 3 seconds,
> 3 thirds, Flugel, 4 Tenor horns, 2 Baritones, 4 Tenor Trombones, 1 Bass
> Trombone, 2 Euphs, 2 Eb Basses, 2 Bb Basses, 5 percussionists, piano,
> guitar)
>
> There's some subperb writing here, too.  One name that should be
> familiar is Mark Freeh (remember the recent exchanges?). Three of his
> arrangement are on the Cd ..An Ellington Portrait, Old Man River, and a
> long-standing favourite of mine, Laura.  IMHO these are great charts.
> Well written, tasteful, interesting, swinging music.
>
> There's also an original by Jeff Tyzik (director, trumpet, composer,
> conductor ... the list goes on) which beautifully captures the mood of
> Neil Hefti's incredible Lil Darlin' recorded by Count Basie.
>
> This is American music, by an American Band with American Jazz roots and
> background.  A different sound and feel from Other bands, and well worth
> a listen.
>
> Sorry to go on.  I just like it a lot.
>
> Oh yes, there's no string bass, but the sound from the Eb's and Bb's
> would challenge the most discerning ear!
>
> Lloyd Hiscock
> Wanna-be composer, and working at it.
>
> --

Norm.
Music is my first love, after Jan and the billies.