Re: Re: Ol' Blue Eyes

On 19 May, Ima Gemendo <zinken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wish you luck Mark. You'll sell one copy and in no time, 50 bands will
> have a copy of it. They (bands)are generally, no respecters of copyright
> and your right as a writer/arranger to make money from your work. The
> word commission usually only applies to TEST pieces in England.

It is almost impossible for arrangers to gain permission to score
copyrighted works for brass band. This is a pity. It would be beneficial
for everyone if this were not so.
The arranger would be able to sub-publish a chart at a price every band
could afford.
The bands would have a much wider choice of what they could buy.
The copyright owners would profit from radio/record plays and music sale
royalties.

As it is, if a band wishes to commission an arranger to write an exclusive
chart for them, they would need to find in the region of 300-500 UK pounds
(probably more at USA musicians' union scale) for a piece lasting maybe 3
minutes, more than most bands have in the kitty I think.

The big guys are stifling the business. Before the 70 year copyright
protection came into being I did a couple of "Porgy and Bess" charts for
brass band and registered them with the PRS and MCPS. Would you believe
that Warner/Chappell tried to take this meagre copyright away from me.
They tried to convince the collection agencies that it was Ira Gershwin
(the lyricist) and not George who wrote this music, and that
Warner/Chappell still held the copyright on Ira's work (HAH!!!).

I'm glad to say that I won that round, but that just shows you what a
starving arranger is up against in this cut throat music business.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/