Re: Necessity of a 4th trombone, also baritone scoring

On 19 May, brassman <brassman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bobby Brookmeyer is not playing in any brass bands that I know of.

Though it would be nice if he was writing for some of them. Maybe he is,
on your side of the pond.

> I also steer away from the bass trombone on the 5th... As a bass
> trombone player I know how that feels.  I have even left the 5th out
> entirely if I had to.

Yes, in fact the 5th is the easiest, and usually the best choice of note
to leave out, especially in a chord containing high-number intervals. When
you are using the 13th or raised 11th of the chord, the 5th will take away
the sparkle if it is voiced too close. Better to leave out the 5th, or
score it 2 octaves below the 13th or 11th, ie., (from bottom up)
Root,5,3,7,9,11+,13. One exception is when you are voicing a chord
predominantly in 4ths and the 5th is ABOVE the 13th, ie.,
Root,7,3,13,9,5,1. In both these arrangements, the 3rd and 7th are both in
the lower part of the chord, which is the ideal place for sonority.

> Alastair...... A - L - A - S -T - A - I - R...........see I'm trying to
> help Alistair..."  :) "

OK, OK Mark, I think I've got it now :-)

BTW, I heard that the Battle Creek Band will be visiting Glasgow in
October, as part of our open brass day. I look forward to seeing this band
live and hope they will be playing some of your charts.

Cheers, Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/