Re: F Horn in brass bands or the "F" word

Graham Young (905) 575-8440
Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
gyoung@xxxxxxxx

> Better watch out there, G. Young.  For many, them's fightin' words!

Not fighting words on a brass band list.

> The horn has a "Heroic" quality that no alto/tenor horn can even hope to
> duplicate ...ever.

Really? Heroic is a style. I can play "Heroic" on the trumpet or the
cornet.
I have heard "Heroic" on tenor horn as well as I have heard it on French
Horn.
I've also heard it on trombone.

> Can you
> imagine Mahler with anything else?
I can imagine Mahler on bagpipes but it would be out of place just
as French Horns are out of place in a Brass Band AND I might add
those who use Eb trumpet or piccolo trumpet in a brass band.
Talk about fingernails on the blackboard of life.
Really! If you cant cut the Soprano parts on Soprano leave it to someone
who can.