Re: Local bands

Robert said:
----------
> From: Robert_C_Knight@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Local bands
> Date: 20 May 1998 10:14
>
> Clair Tomalin mentioned *the all too familiar image of the 'local brass
> band at the village fete'*. It may not represent the height of culture or
> the greatest contribution to music offered by brass bands, but a good
local
> brass band adds atmosphere and fun to any outdoor event. Would you prefer
> canned music, or worse still violins?

Robert:

Sorry :((    I didn't mean to offend, I was just trying to point out the
UNFAIRNESS of the general image of brass bands which seems to be held by
non-brassbanders.  Maybe I shouldn't have used the "local brass band at a
village fete" analogy - maybe I should have just said the "all too familiar
incorrect and misplaced image of a brass band".

As far as I can see, unless the unconverted public can be coaxed into
attending a 'proper' indoor concert where the band can play its best in an
appropriate setting and the 'newcomers' can be educated/enlightened on the
variety of music and versatility of a brass band, they tend to only come
across bands as they stroll past them out in the middle of a field with
negligible weather conditions, music being blown around by unsympathetic
wind (from the elements not the players :)), the sound of the band being
lost into the open air and the band having to compete with the local 'Boys
Brigade Bugle Band' and 'Majorettes Extrordinaire' (both of which serve a
worthy purpose in their own right ..... not wanting to upset anyone else
:)).  Under these constraining conditions, very few bands (if any) are able
to produce musical results that they'd wish to have broadcast on "Listen To
The Band".

The result:- The unconverted audience (as you rightfully say) enjoys the
entertainment that the live music at the fete offers, but it doesn't always
entice them to attend a 'real' concert where their education/enlightenment
could take place.  If the education doesn't take place, the next time they
see a band is at the next year's local fete - same problem, different year.
 Thus, the only impression of a brass band that they hold is one subject to
the constraints mentioned above.

In fact, this 'misplaced image' has even been taken on by TV producers.
Just the other day I was watching the TV ("Where The Heart Is" I think the
programme was called).  There was a local band playing at the village fete.
Unfortunately, the Producer obviously had limited imagination and/or
knowledge and showed the band playing a march (how original!  Almost as
unadventurous a piece of music as the Area Qualifying 'Test Piece' in the
film "Brassed Off" - another march!), the camera then did the usual trick
of zooming in on players fingers which were moving with no relation to the
audible music, and then, to add insult to injury, there was a quick shot of
a bass player swigging a can of beer whilst trying to play ..... why did
that have to happen? - because of an inaccurate and misplaced image of the
brass band.

So, what I was trying to say in my previous message was that the Redbridge
CD 'Close Enough For Jazz' may go some way to show the general public that
brass bands don't deserve the inaccurate and misplaced image that they seem
to have.  Hopefully, you'll agree with me now?

Whilst I'm boring everyone - has anyone got any good/innovative ideas for
attracting people to concerts?

Clair Tomalin
Flugel, KM Gillingham Band
c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx