Re: Webster vs McCann -Reply

jeremy.wise@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Personally I cannot abide McCanns permanent warbling. Sounds more like birdsong than cornet playing to me. I want a straighter and fuller sound that is adaptable to different styles and not one dimensional. Yes I want warmth and some vibrato when needed
 but not this constant yayayayaya.

Absolutely spot on. I think it was the composer, Ralph Vaughan-Williams
who summed it up perfectly when he described this kind of sound as "the
vulgar, sentimental vibrato that disfigures most brass band
performances".
Any of my cornet players who try that on are they're fired :)

> Vibrato is a device to be added and removed as required not a starting point for a sound. All of the players listed are good but great??? All that defines one from another is personal taste. I would have 10 Matt Bakers before 1 McCann

Me too

Cheers,
Adrian J. Raven