Symphonic Sound

In message <Pine.3.07.9805202111.A10726-b100000@login>, Matt LaFontaine
<mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> Four tubas, played
>"symphonically", can overpower an entire band with ease. Besides that,
Bb
>basses are used only moderately and Eb's almost never.

Can someone tell me how to play a tuba symphonically?
I have never played in an orchestra and was not aware of a different way
of playing the instrument. I play a BBb Bass in a Brass Band and a Wind
Band and the only differences I was aware of was that :-
1) The Music is scored in Bass clef in a wind band instead of Treble
2) We only have 2 tubas in a wind band instead of 4 (maybe thats all we
can get)
3) The wind band sound is much more open than brass band which means I
can actually hear what I am playing
Maybe I am missing someting essential! Can someone please enlighten me.

If orchestras do not use BBb or EEb Basses what pitch are they?

Looking forward to your replies
--
Hilary Mateer

BBb Bass - Loxley Silver Band