Re: The Phillip McCann debate

CRAIG BENNETT wrote:

> I've read this argument (substitute argument with word of your choice) with
> interest. I think we're just going to have to beg to differ here. I'm lucky
> enough to have played in the same band as him which was a thrill (he is
> after all one of the best know and experienced cornet players we have) BUT
> I have got to say that I am still not a PM fan.
>
> He wasn't, for me, a bandsman, being rather aloof at times and also very
> sarcastic/patronising. Quite often he was more of a hinderance than a help
> to the BAND e.g. refusing to move tuning slide/constantly interrupting the
> conductor (ps I'm already taking cover). Now as a player no-one can take
> away what he has done (especially going back to his BDM days and listening
> to him on a recording as a teenage top-man with Faireys in about 1969 -
> quite brilliant).

Very well put Craig! I endorse your commenst fully having also played in the
same band as Mr McCann. We had countless 'disagreements'  about what a bandsman
should be like! As for him interupting the conductor - the phrase 'tail wagging
the dog' was often evident.

As for playing - yes, one of the best but hey, at the end of the day any player
is one of 24 others - a team and he was never real good with teamwork!

Monkey