Re: Symphonic Sound

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Hilary Mateer wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to play a tuba symphonically?

Well, I can't give a definition but I can try to provide a comparison...

Orchestral tuba playing requires the tubist to have a wide range of
dynamic and tonal levels. They can be required to play as delicately as a
violin playing pizz or as heavily as a bass drum playinf fff in a Sousa
march. Also, orchestral tuba playing requries the musician to blow
significantly louder at all except the highest and lowest dynamic ranges
since he/she has many more instruments to play against than in the brass
band (and there's only one or two tubas in an orchestra also!). Very
rarely does the brass band tuba section need to blow their b---s through
the bell of the horn (although that doesn't stop some of them ;).

> 2) We only have 2 tubas in a wind band instead of 4 (maybe thats all we
> can get)

Wind bands, being of significantly less power than the brass band, don't
need more than one or two tubas. I've heard a strong tuba player than can
blow above a strong wind band (groups like Dallas Wind Symphony are good
examples). The unfortunate fact in wind band playing is that if you want
to keep the timbre contrast between woodwind and brass, the brass section
has to tone it down several volume levels so that they are not dominant.
Brass bands need four tubas because they have a band of all brass
instruments (with twice as much brass as a wind band) to contend with,
plus they play a different role in many respects.

> 3) The wind band sound is much more open than brass band which means I
> can actually hear what I am playing

That's because you have to play quieter for the flutes et. al to be heard.

> If orchestras do not use BBb or EEb Basses what pitch are they?

Most orchestral players tend to use the CC tuba. Many say it provides more
flexability than the BBb and allows the tubist to really lay a foundation
for the louder dynamic levels. Some do use the BBb, but not to as wide an
extent. The F tuba is also popular in Europe and becoming more and more
popular in the States, as it has been more accepted as a real tuba and not
just a toy. It has a delicate and light sound, much like an Eb, and has a
lot of versatility. The Eb bass seems (to me) to be restricted to the
brass band alone, yet serves an important function in it that probably
couldn't be matched by any other instrument.

Regards,
Matt LaFontaine