Re: Symphonic Sound

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Hilary Mateer wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to play a tuba symphonically?

It's more a difference in attitude - in a band you aim to produce a warm,
wide cushion of sound for everyone to rest upon, whereas orchestrally this
is provided by the string basses (mainly) and the tuba is most used as a
bass for the 3 trombones, not always the happiest arrangment.

> I have never played in an orchestra and was not aware of a different way
> of playing the instrument. I play a BBb Bass in a Brass Band and a Wind
> Band and the only differences I was aware of was that :-
> 1) The Music is scored in Bass clef in a wind band instead of Treble
> 2) We only have 2 tubas in a wind band instead of 4 (maybe thats all we
> can get)

I'd guess that's all you can get.  A wind band with 4 good EEbs sounds
great (you also have the bass resonance from the reeds)

Historically, military bands played only one of each bass when restricted
to a small number of players, 21 I think it was.  Most forces bands of 40
- 60 players used between 3 and 5 basses.

> 3) The wind band sound is much more open than brass band which means I
> can actually hear what I am playing

That's the difference in tone colours for you!

> Maybe I am missing someting essential! Can someone please enlighten me.
>
> If orchestras do not use BBb or EEb Basses what pitch are they?

They are tubas.  Very rarely are the pitches specified by the composer,
and they may be ignored by the player (the conductor probably won't
notice)  A quick guide to a large subject:

British practice used to be for an F tuba, this changed mid-century to Eb
because of the influence of bands.  More recently, players have been using
the low CC for 'larger' works.  This has long been the standard instrument
practically everywhere else, with the occasional F for high stuff.  (the
British F and Eb are of course top action, the others front)

French practice used to be the high c tuba, a tone up from the euph.
This explains certain pieces like 'Pictures at an exhebition' which are a
little high, the solo going up to G sharp concert.  This is normally
played on euph (I did this with the OU Philarmonia, the trombones have the
movement off) but a good tubist should manage it on an Eb.  If I had the
choice, an F would probably be best for the whole piece, as there is very
little low stuff.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass