Instrumentation

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> If trombones are permitted to play symphonically in the brass band, then
> why not trumpets and french horns too.

And why not clarinets and mongolian nose flutes? and why don't orchestras
have tenor horns and soprano cornets? :)

> In fact there is nothing to prevent tenor and baritone horns being part of
> the symphony orchestra, if that's the sound the composer wants for his
> score. In the past, instruments have been specially invented by composers
> to add orchestral colour, especially in the brass department.

That is not to say that such instruments should be included as permanent
additions to the orchestra. It is one thing to include a novel instrument
as a one-off (whether it is a baritone in an orchestra or a
trumpet/french horn in a brass band) but quite another to suggest that
they should be added permanently.

I think we've probably exhausted the instrumentation debate now...

Cameron

--
  Cameron Mabon (International Idiot)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Piano, cornet and duck-call