City of Oxford

Firstly, I will make it clear that I am writing of my own volition, and
my views may not co-incide with those of the rest of the City of Oxford
Band...

I was surprised that the appeal presented by the City of Oxford Band was
rejected. There was an irrefutable body of evidence in our favour, and
the committee did acknowledge that the band had not deliberately tried to
cheat, nor had we gained anything by omitting one name from a signature
form.

It seems surprising, then, that the committee should have chosen to
re-inforce the strongest possible penalty. To my mind, it would have
sufficed to remove our prize-money, or trophies, or even our place at the
Royal Albert Hall. (This is an important point. We are not continuing the
struggle because we want to play at the Royal Albert Hall (although, of
course, we do!!!). We are still
fighting because we feel that we have been dealt an unjustified blow by
the L+SC committee. Had we finished seventh in the contest, we would
be campaigning just as hard).

The punishment meted out by the committee was as harsh as it could have
been.

Not only has the band lost its finals place, we have lost our position in
the ranking tables (instead of third, we will now be placed second-last!)
despite the fact that we have not lost to any other Championship Section
band from this area (apart from Aveley) in the last 18 months!

If the tax disc on a car was found to bear the wrong registration plate
number, the penalty would be a small one - perhaps a nominal fine. For a
similar transgression,
the members of the City of Oxford Band have been sentenced to ten years
hard labour! (Well, at least three - we have to obtain good results at
the areas for the next two years to stay in the Championship Section).

The "rule" we broke (if, indeed, the rules stipulate that all contesting
players must appear on the signature form - I haven't read the rules) was
a trivial one and completely irrelevant to our performance or the result
of the contest. If we had broken the rule that makes it mandatory to wear
black socks, would we have been disqualified? or the rule that stipulates
that all bands must have a giraffe on stage?

I think it is sad that, if our disqualification is upheld by the NCC, the
London and Southern Counties Area will not be represented at the finals by
the best
bands in the area. (It is worth re-stating that the adjudicator said that
two bands stood out on the day, despite the fact that we played badly
compared to our expectations).

As for the L+SC committee, I am still unconvinced that they provided an
unbiased verdict. I know that I could not have made an unbiased decision
in their shoes. The last time the topic was discussed, I was assured by
members of the committee and others that they would maintain
impartiality. Nevertheless, I find this difficult to believe, given the
undoubted vested interests of several members of the committee. I firmly
believe that the matter should have been resolved by another regional
committee (e.g. the West of England) although I appreciate that this
would be a new approach (though it would be valid in this rather unique
case). I also find it strange that even the Oxfordshire Association's
representatives did not support us!

I hope that readers of the British Bandsman will read the centre-page
spread on the City of Oxford Band in this week's issue. It presents an
accurate picture of the band's team spirit and commitment. It also
re-iterates the fact that our disqualification was based upon a technical
error rather than any deliberate attempt to cheat.

I appreciate that rules are necessary in band competitions. However, I
think the rules need to be changed if a band like ours can be
disqualified when we have acted only in the spirit of banding, with no
intention of breaking the rules whatsoever. (As Alastair pointed
out, the band members did not have to sign the form before the contest -
if we had, then the error could never have arisen).

I should add that the band is considering taking legal advice, and that I
think we have a very strong case to put before the NCC. It is a fact that
the NCC does not generally overturn decisions made by its member
associations. In this case, I think it would be entirely justified for
them to do so.

Finally, I would like to mention that, when the the band's
disqualification was last discussed, I received between twenty and thirty
personal email messages. Of these, the vast majority agreed that our
disqualification was unfair. I know that there are many bandsmen across
the country who share my sentiments, and I hope that they will make their
views known by whatever means to aid not only the cause of the City
of Oxford Band, but the cause of fair brass band contesting.

Once again, these are my own views.

Thanks for reading such a long message, and I hope that you will see fit
to make appropriate comment on it, before or after the band's official
statement next week.

Regards,

Cameron

--