Doubling (was Vibrato)

On 22 May, Trond Otto Berg <trober@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That colection of instrumet is comarable too this: Trombone, Euph,
> Eb-tenorhorn, baitone-sax, and bass-clarinet.  Wold you say that if a
> person played all this instrumets, that he wold be equaly good on all of
> them, and equaly good on all of them copared to one "spesialist" on,
> lats say, euph? There is a widly spead msiunderstanding that we
> cornet-player do not suffer from changing instuments.  We suffer just as
> much as the others.  For young players its even more dangerous.  If you
> change instrumets, and therefore mp's, constantly, you will damage your
> ambochure, and some will even get a injury that may cause them to stop
> playing TOTALY for a year or so.  This is a subject wich I know
> something about, since I took my master deg. in music on ambochure and
> ambochure-building.  If you want to change betveen instruments (and
> mp's) youshould be at least 20years old (you must have stoped growing)
> and have a rock-solid ambochure before you start.   By starting this on
> age 15, you are asking for trouble that may damage you for life.

Trond, this is a stupid argument and I am surprised that others on the
list are in agreement with these ramblings.

My son has been collecting his many doubles since he was 7 years old. He
shows no signs that this has done him any harm.

Are you telling me that my son should not be studying english, math,
physics, french, spanish, geography, history, computing, etc., etc., on
the grounds that all these subjects will detract from his music studies at
school? Are you telling me that athletes should not train for pentathlon
and decathlon events, but should stick to one track event only?

I have played cornet, trumpet, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, bass
sax, clarinet, bass clarinet, oboe, flute, descant recorder, trombone,
bass trombone, valve trombone, euphonium, mellophonium, Bb tuba, Eb tuba,
vibraphone and various LA percussion. Although I never became brilliant on
any one of these instruments, I have played them all professionally, that
is all except the cornet. The fact that I have played all these
instruments and understand them well, has made me a very much better
arranger/composer than I would have been if I knew only how to play one
instrument.

Has studying english done any harm to the way you speak and write
norwegian? I think not. Although your english is not the best I have seen
from a Scaninavian :-), if you had not taken the trouble to study it, you
would not have been able to communicate with other musicians on this list.
I'm glad you did.

I wrote...

> > Brass bands in my area continually recruit college musicians who have
> > been trained as trumpeters.

You replied...

> You should then force them to lay the trumopt "on the shelf" as long as
> they are playing in Brass Band

But why? They are studying for degrees in fields other than brass banding.
That is the most selfish attitude I have ever heard. These guys are doing
local bands a favour by augmenting their diminishing ranks. Without these
talented students many bands would disintegrate.

Let me finish with this. The reason why all brass band instruments (apart
from bass trombone) play in treble clef and are transposing, came from the
inventer of many of the band instruments, Adolphe Sax. It was his
reasoning that if every instrument used the same clef and had the same
fingering, it would be easy for musicians to hop around from one
instrument to another when need be. So it seems that the father of the
brass band did not have the same blinkered views that many of us seem to
have.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER