Re: City of Oxford appeal - long

As a former member of the regional committee in London, I feel well
qualified to comment on this posting.

> * At least 4 members of the L+SC committee could be said to have vested
> interests in a poor result for City Band.  Our two local representatives,
> who incidentally didn't contact us before the appeal, are both associated
> with Morrells Concert Brass (Kidlington), our local rivals.  John
> Underwood is subscribed to this list, the other is Ken Membury.  Also on
> the committee was a man connected with Redbridge (who go to the RAH if we
> don't) and a man from Hendon.

You're on dangerous ground here - these people give up their valuable time
to represent the members of their associations and do so without taking
into account their own band affiliations - I've had 2 spells on this
committee and have never seen any evidence of anyone acting other than in
the interests of the running of the contest and the application (not the
interpretation by the way) of the rules under which it is run. That is the
sole purpose of the regional committee.

It is not the job of this, or any other regional committee, to interpret
those rules - there is meant to be consistency throughout the country on
the application of the rules and whilst the process for appeals is to go
through your committee, they will not be the ultimate judge. If your band
appeal onwards to the NCC, that is where you will be more likely to get
views on a different interpretation

> * It may interest you to know that
we are aware of another registration
> form violation, an unsigned players name on the form (presumably without
> their permission)  and I suspect the band involved would be most surprised
> and displeased if this was pointed out to them.  Not meant as a 'low
> point' to the detriment of that band, but people who live in glass
> houses....

There were a number of problems on the day all of which needed input from
the Registry to determine if they were correctly registered or not. In the
same way, all bands affected were given the same options as Oxford.
If a players name was on the form that was not a registered member of the
band, and that player played on the day (there is no check for people who
don't play on the day) then this would have been spotted and the band
given those same options.

By making comments on the lines of "no confidence in the Regional
Committee", you're way off line - they are there for one reason only, to
run one contest a year. You appear to be taking the correct route via the
NCC and I wish you the best of luck - I for one did not enjoy sending 4
bands that day onto the stage all under threat of disqualification.
=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk