Re: City of Oxford

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Andy Wooler wrote:

> Having read elsewhere that the band are considering legal action, it would
> seem to me to be prudent to actually read the rules before commenting on
> them. I would add to that a read of the Regional Committee Constitution to
> understand better what their role is.

I personally will have no part in the appeal to the NCC. Needless to say,
those members of the band who will present our case have studied the
contest rules at length.

> > I also find it strange that even the Oxfordshire Association's
> > representatives did not support us!
>
> Ou of curiosity, did you seek their support or was there an assumption
> that they had vested interests and therefore were not worth talking to?

It will suffice to say that there was no contact between the said
representatives and the band before the appeal. If any blame is to be
attributed for this then it must lie, at least in part, with both
parties. Nevertheless, the fact that no prior contact was made should not
have prompted the Oxfordshire reps. to vote against the band.

> But, think about the other 2 bands who were suffering with a shortage of
> players and who wanted to add names to the list but were denied the
> opportunity of doing so .Both were then unable to attend the event.
> Interestingly, one of these was a band whom some have already linked with
> "vested interests" on the committee.

Our situation is not the same as those of the two bands with player
shortages. We had no shortage - we have played with virtually the same
players for at least two years, and there haven't been great changes in
the last five years. I do think it is a shame that two bands could not
compete because of shortages. However, why should the City of Oxford Band
suffer because other bands in the region are not as well supported by
their playing members as ours?

> As a last point, and once again, a piece of advice to be taken in the
> spirit in which it is given, there are in fact a number of regional
> committee members who read the contents of this mailing list.

And hopefully, they will see fit to comment on the decision they made!

Regards,

Cameron
--
  Cameron Mabon (International Stoat)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx