Re: Cambridge - 'right bands in the wrong order ?'

----------
> From: Davdi C Johnson <David.C.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Cambridge - 'right bands in the wrong order ?'
> Date: 25 May 1998 00:35
>
> Contests finally became a joke today. Arguably any of the top six could
> have won, but in practice to win a contest you need to be lucky with ALL
> three judges. In my view - and I love band contesting - they should let
> the audience vote, that or have 5 judges so the averages are less
> servere. At present it seems to me that contest are becoming a lottery
> and that they are delivering the 'right bands in the wrong order'.
> Regards
> Paul Johnson
> Hi Paul,

The result from the Masters is daft and I suspect this system will not be
used again. The basis of the idea came from the Swiss Open where they have
5 separate judges and take off the top and bottom marks and average the
middle three. This eliminates the unusual opinions for or against a
performance and produces a consensus. The system operated yesterday allows
one judge to severely affect a position - YBS, Ransomes, Sellers and Aveley
are all case in points. The general opinion yesterday seemed to be that YBS
had clearly won with the cleanest performance and that Brighouse and
Fairieys were next in either order. Brand made YBS much lower with 13th. I
am not saying that it was deliberate - just perverse.

Jeremy