Re: City of Oxford

Disclaimer once more:  These are my own views in the light of facts as I
understand them, and are not nessecarily those of the City of Oxford Band.

<cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> > The "rule" we broke (if, indeed, the rules stipulate that all contestin=
> > players must appear on the signature form - I haven't read the rules)
>
> Having read elsewhere that the band are considering legal action, it woul=
> seem to me to be prudent to actually read the rules before commenting on
> them. I would add to that a read of the Regional Committee Constitution t=
> understand better what their role is.

I am sure that the people actually conducting our appeal looked at the
rules, and I take their words for it that there is no such rule.  Thanks
for the other suggestion.

> Please don't take this the wrong way, these suggestions are in the hope
> that they will help you - you can't base an action on an understanding of
> rules you're not familiar with.
>
> > I also find it strange that even the Oxfordshire Association's
> > representatives did not support us!
>
> Ou of curiosity, did you seek their support or was there an assumption
> that they had vested interests and therefore were not worth talking to?

I think they didn't approach us and vice versa, as Cameron comments on
elsewhere.

> > I appreciate that rules are necessary in band competitions. However, I
> > think the rules need to be changed if a band like ours can be
> > disqualified when we have acted only in the spirit of banding, with no
> > intention of breaking the rules whatsoever.
>
> I would refer any readers to earlier postings of mine on this subject.
> My views are pretty well known in the South of England on this - s
> the whole idea of registration, the only people who benefit are those who
> make an income from providing the service!

Registration makes sense as a means of ensuring that a band 'fields'
regular players on stage, and isn't just a scratch or bought-in band at
contests.  As I said before, it makes sense to obtain a list of players
from the registry and sign them onto the stage, rather than a list from
the band. Even if there are more than 28 names provided, as long as 28 (or
less) go onstage this is still fair.

> Unfortunately, regional committees on their own cannot change rules, they
> have to pass on such things to the NCC/Registry or other appropriate body=
=2E
> I know, we've tried for years to get changes made which have been
> requested by member bands (eg; 2 adjudicators).

I'd appreciate some clarification here, as I am sure that different areas
have different registration form systems (the NE I think is the only area
that does the same thing as L+SC.  Interestingly, they also had a
registration problem this year)  If systems these have to be approved by
the NCC, doesn't this imply some inconsistency on the part of the NCC?

> > I should add that the band is considering taking legal advice, and that=
> > think we have a very strong case to put before the NCC. It is a fact th=
at
> > the NCC does not generally overturn decisions made by its member
> > associations. In this case, I think it would be entirely justified for
> > them to do so.
>
> And I would agree with that.
> But, think about the other 2 bands who were suffering with a shortage of
> players and who wanted to add names to the list but were denied the
> opportunity of doing so .Both were then unable to attend the event.

To reiterate, we wished to add (or rather were forced to in effect by our
oversight) to add a player to the registration form who had been
registered with the band for 5 years and had intended to play at the
contest since we had entered.  I do not know the circumstances of the
other bands, but underatand there was attrition both the newly formed
First City Brass, and forces musicians were unavailable on the day.  If
Hendon and Staines wished to add players to the form who were unsigned as
of the deadline (4 weeks before the contest?) then sorry, tough luck.  If
they could have played by adding signed players to the form (*) and were
not alowed to do so because of a 'non-rule' then I would be very
interested to see if they had grounds for an appeal against the L+SC
committee too.

(*) though as I have pointed out, the registration form used in our area
is a list of players who could /possibly/ play at the contest, so could
have included all signed players anyway.  This was one of the reasons for
our oversight as well.

> Interestingly, one of these was a band whom some have already linked with
> "vested interests" on the committee.
>
> As a last point, and once again, a piece of advice to be taken in the
> spirit in which it is given, there are in fact a number of regional
> committee members who read the contents of this mailing list. It would be
> once again, prudent to bear this in mind when constructing responses.
>
> =A0
> (for the benefit of recent new members, I was at the time of this inciden=
> the Southern Counties ABA representative on the London & Southern Countie=
> Regional Committee.)

I remember you on the registration desk backstage at Basildon, are you
still on the L+SC committee?

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass