Re: City of Oxford appeal - long

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my views, not nessecarily those of the
City of Oxford Band.

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Andy Wooler wrote:

> As a former member of the regional committee in London, I feel well
> qualified to comment on this posting.
>
> > * At least 4 members of the L+SC committee could be said to have vested
> > interests in a poor result for City Band.  Our two local representative=
s,
> > who incidentally didn't contact us before the appeal, are both associat=
ed
> > with Morrells Concert Brass (Kidlington), our local rivals.  John
> > Underwood is subscribed to this list, the other is Ken Membury.  Also o=
> > the committee was a man connected with Redbridge (who go to the RAH if
we
> > don't) and a man from Hendon.
>
> You're on dangerous ground here - these people give up their valuable tim=
> to represent the members of their associations and do so without taking
> into account their own band affiliations - I've had 2 spells on this
> committee and have never seen any evidence of anyone acting other than in
> the interests of the running of the contest and the application (not the
> interpretation by the way) of the rules under which it is run. That is th=
> sole purpose of the regional committee.

That's why I wrote 'could be said,' I have no knowledge of what goes on
behind closed doors in committee meetings, but I believe these facts to be
relevant, and listmembers can draw their own conclusions from them.

You may remember in my original post I drew attention to the fact that one
of our local representatives had i) seemingly spread false rumours & ii)
made an off the record remark that our appeal had been decided before
hearing our evidence.  Give this, I think the issue of partiallity was
right to be raised.

I have heard there is a legal priniciple called 'natural justice' along
the lines that it is not right to be judged by 'interested parties.'

> It is not the job of this, or any other regional committee, to interpret
> those rules - there is meant to be consistency throughout the country on

Or interpret the 'non-rules,' or 'rules as they are understood?'

> the application of the rules and whilst the process for appeals is to go
> through your committee, they will not be the ultimate judge. If your band
> appeal onwards to the NCC, that is where you will be more likely to get
> views on a different interpretation
>
> > * It may interest you to know that we are aware of another registration
> > form violation, an unsigned players name on the form (presumably withou=
> > their permission)  and I suspect the band involved would be most surpri=
sed
> > and displeased if this was pointed out to them.  Not meant as a 'low
> > point' to the detriment of that band, but people who live in glass
> > houses....
>
> There were a number of problems on the day all of which needed input from
> the Registry to determine if they were correctly registered or not. In th=
> same way, all bands affected were given the same options as Oxford.
> If a players name was on the form that was not a registered member of the
> band, and that player played on the day (there is no check for people who
> don't play on the day) then this would have been spotted and the band
> given those same options.
>
> By making comments on the lines of "no confidence in the Regional
> Committee", you're way off line - they are there for one reason only, to

Thanks for clarifying that, Andy.  Out of interest, are there any known
examples of the NCC overturning a regional committee's desicion?

> run one contest a year. You appear to be taking the correct route via the
> NCC and I wish you the best of luck - I for one did not enjoy sending 4
> bands that day onto the stage all under threat of disqualification.

That's new information to me!  I would be interested to know who the other
bands were, but understand that you may want to keep that information
confidential.  If you email me personally, I won't repost to the list.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass