Re: City of Oxford appeal - long

In an earlier post, complete with disclaimer, I wrote:

> > * At least 4 members of the L+SC committee could be said to have vested
> > interests in a poor result for City Band.  Our two local representatives,
> > who incidentally didn't contact us before the appeal, are both associated
> > with Morrells Concert Brass (Kidlington), our local rivals.  John
> > Underwood is subscribed to this list, the other is Ken Membury.  Also on
> > the committee was a man connected with Redbridge (who go to the RAH if we
> > don't) and a man from Hendon.

I thought it wise to add my views on Kiddlington, so this isn't taken out
of context.  As the only other local championship band, Kiddlington are
our de facto rivals as a band, ie it's good to beat them in contests.  I
realise that it is possible to take this rivalry too far, and it's
important to remember the difference between a band and the bandsmen who
make up that band.  I've sat in with Kiddlington a couple of times now
(whether I'd be welcome again I don't know :) and try and chat with
bandsmen I know when I have the chance.  I've met John a couple of times,
but I don't know Ken Membury.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass