Re: Compere

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Gene H. Chan wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance, but several recent posts have alluded
> to a "compere".
>
> 1.  What does a compere do?  What qualifications does this person need?
> 2.  How do you pronounce "compere"?   Is it Italian in origin?  French?

It's French in origin, is pronounced "com-pair", and in the real world
outside email land I think it has a grave accent on the first 'e'.  The
compere is just some random bloke who talks to the audience between tunes
during a concert, giving basic information ("This is (another) fine
march/overture by.....") and telling REALLY bad jokes.  As far as I know
there is no formal training for such a highly demanding post :), and our
compere is usually the 2nd trombonist's dad.   Hope that helped.

Bye now,
Howard