Re: Vibrato

On 25 May, Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> > On 21 May, Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > The only instrument that should be producing a true "symphonic" sound
> > > (imho) is the trombone.

> > Why?

> Because it is the only orchestral instrument used in the brass band, and
> the only brass band instrument widely used in the orchestra.

Sorry to disagree with you again Matt, but I think you forgot the tuba,
timpani and percussion as being regular members of both mediums. I think
you have forgotten also that cornets and euphonium are frequently used in
the orchestra.

<large section snipped - containing old topics argued to death>

> If people wish to hear a brass choir, they will listen to one. If people
> want a brass band, they will listen to one. Just don't morph one into the
> other; then both lose their uniqueness.

But a band that contained BOTH saxhorn brass AND orchestral brass WOULD be
unique, more unique than any established brass ensemble. I may be wrong,
but as far as I know, this has never yet been tried. It would be fun for
arrangers and maybe some people might get to like the idea.

Symphony orchestras have been around a lot longer than brass bands, but
they are not afraid to innovate.

Adrian ;-)

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER