Re: City of Oxford

In the Message regarding "Re: City of Oxford" dated 25 May 98, Alastair
Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> I'd appreciate some clarification here, as I am sure that different areas
> have different registration form systems (the NE I think is the only area
> that does the same thing as L+SC.  Interestingly, they also had a
> registration problem this year)  If systems these have to be approved by
> the NCC, doesn't this imply some inconsistency on the part of the NCC?

One gripe from member bands over many years has been "why do we have have
to get registered members to sign a contest form ?" - at SCABA we have
removed this requirement at the request of bands - if they turn up with a
valid card, they are allowed to play. Easy.
The L&SC comittee decided to try and help the bands in a similar way and
relieve them of the task of collecting signatures prior to the contest.
Most secretaries would acknowledge this as an improvement until the time
comes when they forget to put someone on the list. Just goes to prove you
can't please all of the people all of the time. However, this change was
agreed with the NCC and all regions were given the choice of operating in
this way. L&SC plus one other chose to do so in the hope that band
secretaries would appreciate the reduction in the admin. overhead.
Such a move puts the onus on the band secretary to ensure that he/she has
completed the paperwork correctly.

I know it's a pile of s**t - but it only seems to be that bands have the
courage to stand up and complain about these stupid rules when they are
directly affected by them - be honest, where was the support from City of
Oxford Band members of this list when I first suggested the rules were
past their sell by date? Non existent - until you suffer as a result of
them.
Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with your position - but for gods sake,
join those who are standing up to be counted when you're not directly
affected yourselves!

> I remember you on the registration desk backstage at Basildon, are you
> still on the L+SC committee?

Unfortunately, I had to give up my position as SCABA rep due to work
committments - whilst living in Brighton, I work 2 days a week in
Liverpool and it was becoming difficult to keep up with the committment to
the SCABA. I therefore resigned as an executive committee member, L&SC rep
& Public Relations Officer as at the last AGM. I retain the unofficial
post of SCABA Webmaster.

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk