Tuba Sounds Was: Re: Symphonic Sound

  • To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Tuba Sounds Was: Re: Symphonic Sound
  • From: "Phil Green" <goaty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 21:38:08 +0000
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <goaty@popd.netcomuk.co.uk>

On 22 May 98 at 21:15, Matt LaFontaine wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998, Hilary Mateer wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me how to play a tuba symphonically?
>
> Well, I can't give a definition but I can try to provide a comparison...
>
> Orchestral tuba playing requires the tubist to have a wide range of
> dynamic and tonal levels. They can be required to play as delicately as a
> violin playing pizz or as heavily as a bass drum playinf fff in a Sousa
> march. Also, orchestral tuba playing requries the musician to blow
> significantly louder at all except the highest and lowest dynamic ranges
> since he/she has many more instruments to play against than in the brass
> band (and there's only one or two tubas in an orchestra also!). Very
> rarely does the brass band tuba section need to blow their b---s through
> the bell of the horn (although that doesn't stop some of them ;).

Well Matt, obviously you make that remark with some experience of
playing in brass bands at the highest level, albeit in the States
maybe.  Maybe you should come to the UK and have a blow with some of
our top bands.  If you can't blow your balls off you're out on your
arse !!!
Also with respect to quiet playing, keeping the correct timbre with
four tuba players playing ppp in a competition on the stage of the
RAH is also a bit of a challenge.  And we don't have the luxury of a
string double bass to help out.

> > 2) We only have 2 tubas in a wind band instead of 4 (maybe thats all we
> > can get)
>
> Wind bands, being of significantly less power than the brass band, don't
> need more than one or two tubas. I've heard a strong tuba player than can
> blow above a strong wind band (groups like Dallas Wind Symphony are good
> examples). The unfortunate fact in wind band playing is that if you want
> to keep the timbre contrast between woodwind and brass, the brass section
> has to tone it down several volume levels so that they are not dominant.
> Brass bands need four tubas because they have a band of all brass
> instruments (with twice as much brass as a wind band) to contend with,
> plus they play a different role in many respects.
>
> > 3) The wind band sound is much more open than brass band which means I
> > can actually hear what I am playing
>
> That's because you have to play quieter for the flutes et. al to be heard.
>
> > If orchestras do not use BBb or EEb Basses what pitch are they?
>
> Most orchestral players tend to use the CC tuba. Many say it provides more
> flexability than the BBb and allows the tubist to really lay a foundation
> for the louder dynamic levels. Some do use the BBb, but not to as wide an
> extent. The F tuba is also popular in Europe and becoming more and more
> popular in the States, as it has been more accepted as a real tuba and not
> just a toy. It has a delicate and light sound, much like an Eb, and has a
> lot of versatility. The Eb bass seems (to me) to be restricted to the
> brass band alone, yet serves an important function in it that probably
> couldn't be matched by any other instrument.

Many UK orchestral players chose to play EEb.  They (myself included)
believe a good one to be the most versatile of all the tuba's.  They
can have a delicate and light sound when required but can mix it with
the bigger boys if and when required.

> Matt LaFontaine

Phil Green
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician, merely an instrumentalist "