Re: Cambridge - 'right bands in the wrong order ?'

----------
> From: kraken <kraken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Cambridge - 'right bands in the wrong order ?'
> Date: 25 May 1998 18:08
>
> >The result from the Masters is daft and I suspect this system will not
be
> >used again.
>
> >Jeremy
> >>

> Why Jeremy??  Don't we always claim to have daft results?

The reason I believe it is daft is that there has to be some reward for
good playing, irrespective of opinions about interpretation, dynamics,
tempo etc. When a band performs a piece accurately with good soloists, few
or no split notes mispitches etc thay have to be rewarded in some way. YBS
did this and yet were placed 13th yet Brand put bands in the frame who had
poor soloists, one of them nearly stopped, and where there were obvious
mistakes, poor intonation etc. The same happened with Dyke at the Open on
Severn Suite.

I agree with Frank Rentons article, the job of the adjudicator is to select
the best performance on the day, not look for the one closest to how they
would have done it. Musicality is one aspect and should of course be taken
into account but the quality of the playing, detail, band sound, intonation
and accuracy must be a starting point, not interpretation.

There is an adjudication in the Cory bandroom from the 1950's which says "
you clearly have no idea of the composers intentions". The piece in
question was by Eric Ball and the band had been conducted by the composer
on the day.

There also cannot be the amount of disagreement shown by the placings of
Ransomes 1st and next to last. This is ludicrous by anybody's standards.
There are a number of adjudicators who are reknowned for their odd
adjudications and one of them was in action this week end. Guess who? I
agree that the basis of the Swiss system is better but removing the top and
bottom positions and aggregating the middle three removes the exterme
reactions. I was not attached to any band and my comments are entirely
impartial.

PS I would be pleased to know your name.

Jeremy

 That is what