Masters.

Just thought I would like to add my opinions on the contest
yesterday.

I can't really comment about our own performance.  We were all very
happy with it and hoped the adjudicators wouldn't forget us from the
dreaded no 1 draw.
What I will say though is that as far as I was concerned (and a few
of the others in my band) YBS were the best I heard by an absolute
mile !! (and I heard 13 of the bands).  It was the cleanest and most
exciting I heard and I believe that most of the audience would agree
with me and two of the adjudicators.
It was good to compare YBS to the JJB band as they were drawn next to
each other.  JJB gave, for me, a performance that warranted a lower
order placing.  Whether this was because they didn't play at their
best or that YBS were so superior I can't say but JJB being placed
higher than YBS was a big suprise.  Their soloists were 'flatter'
(with the exception of Horn and Sop) than YBS and the volume was no
where near a match.
Fairies gave their normal Rolls Royce performance - pretty
flawless,except maybe Mr Winter and the odd nervous phrasing by other
featured soloists - but this piece calls for a Ferrari and I didn't
get any excitement from them at all. (great bass section though).
B&R were in my top 6.  I spoke to Martin after they played and said
that apart from my ears bleeding a little I enjoyed their performance
a lot.  Their Principal cornet was a real star,  but many bands had
much better soloists on other benches.  Sop was good though !!
Rothwell were also in my top 6.  They sat like a big band and
produced a 'big' band sound.  Russell Gray was the best top man I
heard.  What spoilt it for me was the conductor turning to the
audience at the end of the performance and asking the us to clap
louder; seemed to cheapen it a bit for me.
Other good bands I heard were GUS (shame about the horn sound
though), Sellers who I think should have been much higher in the
order and Sovereign who gave a very clean performance.

Did anyone hear us ? or were most people still in bed ??

These are only MY opinions are not THAT considered, I'm just telling
it how I saw it - sorry if it upsets anyone.

Regards,
Phil Green
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician, merely an instrumentalist "