Re: Debate on Masters results

> Subject: Debate on Masters results
> Date: 25 May 1998 20:25
>
> Rather than respond individually to all the postings about the Masters
> results, I thought I'd cut & paste bits into just one posting.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me that perfectly intelligent people can
> nevertheless fail to grasp the idea that opinions are not facts. For
> example:

What a patronising comment, although I am pleased to be regarded as having
some intelligence, assuming I was included in that statement. No one has
stated anything as being fact. Merely our opinions. There has to be some
form of consensus somewhere in competitiveness otherwise there will be no
base from which to judge anything.

> >Rumours abound that there is a huge difference of opinion and some funny
> placings.
>
> There is no such thing as a 'funny' opinion.  Just a different one.

Two "Musicians"!? sat two feet apart placing the same band 1st and 20th is
funny, (peculiar) but not haha, by any standards. When a band has rehearsed
solidly for a month, putting in thousands of man/woman hours into
preparation, they deserve better than this drivel.

It all depends on whether Contests are Music Making or Sport. Sometimes
they are the first but always the latter and sometimes both. As Bill
Shankly said, "it's not life and death, it's far more important than that!"
It is to most competitors - of which I was not one yesterday - my band is
far too Welsh for the All ENGLAND Masters. I was just a bemused and amused
spectator. And I still am.

> It amazes me even more that these same people appear to believe that just
> because a majority share an opinion, that in some way converts the
opinion
> into fact.  It does not.

If I may quote Howard Snell ' one does not have to commit murder to know
that it's wrong'

Love to all

Jeremy