Re: Vibrato

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> On 25 May, Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If people wish to hear a brass choir, they will listen to one. If people
> > want a brass band, they will listen to one. Just don't morph one into the
> > other; then both lose their uniqueness.
>
> But a band that contained BOTH saxhorn brass AND orchestral brass WOULD be
> unique, more unique than any established brass ensemble. I may be wrong,
> but as far as I know, this has never yet been tried. It would be fun for
> arrangers and maybe some people might get to like the idea.

Have you ever heard the LSO brass?  Eric Crees does some very good
arrangments with them, and Elgar Howarths 'Pictures' is stunning.  The
lineup is:

picc, sop, 3 tpts, flugel (other doublings at will)
4 horns + bumper
3 tbns (+ bumper)
euph, 2 tubas
perc (3)

So giving some good contrasts in tone.  Anticipating, I'd guess that
Adrian would want to add a flugel and another euph :)

> Symphony orchestras have been around a lot longer than brass bands, but
> they are not afraid to innovate.

Though I think it was pointed out that the symphony orchestra as a concept
is less viable now for new music, most pieces having more
varied/chamber-style orchestration.  If this became the case with bands,
can you imagine playing in a band where you only had to play in certain
pieces, sometimes not at all in a concert?  Or to maintain the social
aspect of banding, being forced to play only music written (say) over a
century ago?

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass