1998 All England Masters

I originally posted this last night as soon as I got home, but it got
lost somewhere along the line.  I know we all know the result, but I've
also included the three adjudications and all the tie break positions.
The adjudicators gave gave each band a ranking, the three positions were
added and lowest score won.  This list also shows the three situations
where the tie break rule came in (two bands tied for 8th, two for 13th,
3 for 17th)

OK, here goes...this is going to take me ages...I hope nobody beats me
to it...here are the full results from this year's All England Masters
Championship in Cambridge, including a full breakdown of the placings
given by each of the three adjudicators.  The test piece was 'Dances and
Arias' by Edward Gregson.

GB = Geoffrey Brand
EC = Eric Crees
WR = William Relton
T = Total
P = Position
TB/FP = Tie Break/Final Position

BAND	    DRAW    GB      EC      WR      T       P       TB/FP

Brighouse       9       3       2       4       9       1       1

Faireys	 16      2       7       2       11      2       2

Leyland	 21      7       3       3       13      3       3

YBS	     20      13      1       1       15      4       4

Rothwell	8       6       4       6       16      5       5

Fodens	  1       9       5       5       19      6       6

GUS	     14      5       9       13      27      7       7

Ever Ready      10      15      6       8       29      8=      8

Sovereign       15      12      8       9       29      8=      9

Aveley	  17      4       13      4       31      10      10

Sellers	 7       20      10      7       37      11      11

Ransomes	4       1       20      17      38      12      12

EYMS	    6       18      11      11=     40      13=     13

Wingates	19      17      12      11=     40      13=     14

SWT Woodfalls   5       16      16      10      42      15      15

Yorkshire Imps  18      11      17      15      43      16      16

Besses	  13      14      14      16      44      17=     17

Redbridge       12      10      15      19      44      17=     18

Bodmin	  11      8       18      18      44      17=     19

Flowers	 2       19      19      20      58      20      20

Rhodian	 3       21      21      21      63      21      21

So there you go...a band who didn't give the best performance in the
eyes of any of the three adjudicators won the contest.  Some of the
ranges of marks are unbelievable...look at Ransomes.  One clear thing
you can see from this is how different Geoffrey Brand's results
are...make your own conclusions from this. :)  I don't expect he's
flavour of the month in the YBS camp though...

As for us, as rank outsiders (the lowest ranked band at the contest), we
were ecastatic with 9th (well, actually joint 8th, but we came off worse
in the new tie break rule)  Looking at the spread of marks in the three
tie breaks, it appears that Eric Crees was the 'chosen' adjudicator.

Any comments?  Opinions?  Good thing?  Bad thing? (I'm just waiting to
see how the brass band list hardcore are going to fit vibrato and french
horns into this thread)

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/sov/sov.htm