Re: Masters Result - Amazing Facts

> I dont know Jeremy, dont you think this is a good way to get rid of the
> lesser adjudicators. What about YBS 1st from Eric and Bill, 13th from
> Brand! We

Phil,
I must disagree.  I only heard 10 of the 21 bands, but that included 5 of
the 'top' 6.  I had Faireys, YBS, B&R then Ransomes.  For my mind Ransomes
played by far the most musical performance of the day.  I heard bits in the
their performance that nobody else played (!).  Yes, the adjudicators'
placings were (in some cases very) varied, but IMO, this just shows the
preferences between 'musicality' and 'technicality'.  Mr Brand's placings
seem to be given to the musical performances (in particular Ransomes,
Aveley), and the other two go for the sound and accuracy (YBS...).

If a band knows who the adjudicator is, they may play the piece differently
according to his/her preferences.  In the Masters' case, bands (I assume)
just had to choose a performance style that they themselves thought was
best.

Ho hum.  Flame retardant clothing at the ready...

Darren

--
Darren Ashman,  Principal cornet and Secretary
City of Cambridge Brass Band