Re: The Phillip McCann debate

On Thu 21 May 98 (10:42:13), craigbennett1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I've read this argument (substitute argument with word of your choice)
>with interest. I think we're just going to have to beg to differ here.
>I'm lucky enough to have played in the same band as him which was a
>thrill (he is after all one of the best know and experienced cornet
>players we have) BUT I have got to say that I am still not a PM fan.
>
>He wasn't, for me, a bandsman, being rather aloof at times and also
>very sarcastic/patronising. Quite often he was more of a hinderance
>than a help to the BAND e.g. refusing to move tuning slide/constantly
>interrupting the conductor (ps I'm already taking cover). Now as a
>player no-one can take away what he has done (especially going back to
>his BDM days and listening to him on a recording as a teenage top-man
>with Faireys in about 1969 - quite brilliant).
>
>I personally prefer the more adaptable players such as Brian Taylor,
>Richard Marshall, Roger Webster etc. At the end of the day those FOR
>will probably not change those AGAINST' minds and vice versa. So it's
>probably better to leave it at that. I say this after trawling through
>350 mail
>items!

You're right there. We had this debate about Vibrato, which led onto McCann a
year or so back on the list, and we never resolved anything.  I didn't change
my mind about him and got flamed for my trouble :)

I have to say though, that he is just so dull a player.  I've heard him live
twice and it was very boring.  He had good control the 2nd time I heard him,
but the 1st time he was very very ordinary.

The fact that he's sold the 'worlds most boring melodies' album means nothing
to me.
Still, if people like to listen to him, then its obviously not for me to tell
them otherwise, and he's always going to be a far better player than I ever
will be, but he's overrated.

All IMHO of course :)

--
Gregor Spowart