RE: 1998 All England Masters

Hi Chris

More interesting would be knowing why there is such a difference

> Does this show that the concept of judging of contesting is
> ludicrous,

not the concept, possibly the method used by the adjudicators

> or does it show that a fair proportion of our adjudicators are ?

No, only that they hold wildly different opinions, which I commented on in a

> In adj's notes we
> often see that things such as tuning, tone and balance won/lost a
> contest...
> can opinion on this differ so much?

This shouldn't be opinion, it should be fact!

> Roll-on the day when we can have 10 adjs at a contest, to at
> least get rid of
> some of the pointlessness of it all!

All you would get from that would be a large increase in contest fees, and
just as many moans from all the bands except the winner :-)

> By the way, anyone see the Brass-Band programme on TV on Sunday?
> THat guy who
> said it was near-impossible to maintain a relationship outside of
> banding must
> be very sheltered! Anyone else think they were making banding out to be
> something it wasn't?.... they weren't a top-section band
> afterall, but still
> they said that they had no free-time to themselves due to band
> practice!...
> how many lower section bands practice every night???!

What section are they in? They probably did the same programme on all the
bands and used the one from the winning band !!! :-) I like these :-)

Cheers
Rod Gibson
Haverhill Silver