Re: City of Oxford appeal - walking on eggshells...(long!)..

I would make the point that band association/regional committees are all
made up of dedicated people from within the movement - it's not always
going to be possible to find a committee that doesn't have people who are
connected somehow in the outcome of a dispute. I'm no lawyer but applying
the sort of legal principles you mention to amateur organisations would
leave a large majority of them with no ability to handle internal
disputes.

To help us all to have a better understanding of the purpose of the
regional committee, I quote paragraph 2 of the constitution of that
committee: (nb - the copy I have is believed to be still current)

"The committee is formed for the purpose of organising a Brass band
Contest known as the London & Southern Counties Regional Contest from
which the finalists to the National Brass Band Championships of Great
Britain will be selected in accordance with rules laid down by the owners
of that contest"

It is important to note a) the purpose of the committee - simply to
organise the one contest and b) that it will be run in accordance with
rules laid down by the owners - the committee themselves are not the
owners.

As far as the question of relegation to 1st section is concerned, rule 15
allows the regional committee to "individually grade any band on the basis
of local knowledge if it is felt strict application of National Rules
would be to the detriment of the band or other bands in any section" - if
your band have indeed remained in the Championship Section, it is because
the committee applied this rule. And in my opinion, quite correctly
although one could argue I have a vested interest too - being the
conductor of a 1st section band, I have no desire have to compete against
bands of the standard of CoO!.

The correct place to resolve this is with whoever owns or manages the
rules on behalf of the owners. (in this case, the NCC I believe).
The purpose for which the Regional committee exists is expressed within
their constitution - accept that and lets not try and turn this whole
episode into a witch hunt against individual members of that committee.
Without these people who volunteer to run contests, there wouldn't be any!
=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk