RE: 1998 All England Masters

Hi Alec

A wrong interpretation is any performance that differs from the way they
would have conducted it !

It isn't a wish list and all the adjudicators know that theirs is not the
only way to perform a piece, and the band should not therefore be overly
penalised because the adjudicator doesn't like the way it was conducted. You
shouldn't apply draconian marking on a band that has spent considerable time
and effort to perfect a piece to their conductors satisfaction just because
his interpretation is different. If it is purely a question of an opinion as
to who is the best band why not pick the first three people to walk by the
contest venue, offer them the fee and abide by their decision - it can't be
any worse :-)

> >Is it a case of the adjudicators not being given any guidance on how they
> >should adjudicate? or what criteria they should use?
>
> Yes.

They shouldn't need guidance or rules but if common sense doesn't prevail
then perhaps they should be given some guide lines to work to in future. Too
many rules are best avoided as evidenced by the daft punishment of Oxford,
albeit with a totally different set of rules!

Regards
Rod Gibson
Haverhill Silver