Re: Versatility and Doubling (was Vibrato)

Kees & Michelle Dogger wrote:

> ----------
> > Ever heard James Morrison?
> >

> Dear Adrian,
>
> You are so right in your opinions re. doubling.
>
> James Morrison has said at one time that he has worked to prepare an
> all-round sort of embouchure, where he forces a cushion of air between his
> lips and teeth. He sure blows well !
>
> Kees Dogger
> Dogger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A ALL-ROUND EMBOCHURE!!!!!!!
If you want a good sound, and want to play a whole day without sondung like a
"lazer-beam", you have to fine-tune and work on your embochure to fit with your
type of playing.  This means that you could never double on both cornet,
trumpet, flgelhorn ++++, without  get a major influence on your
sound-quality.  For a average amature this means also that there is "back-row"
embochure and a "front-row" enbochure also.
By the way, If you play in a brassband (in my opinion the most interesting
thing a brass-player can do), why do you need to play on trumpet?  There is no
need for a trumpet in a brassband anyway.  If you already do the most
interesting thing a brass-player can do (exept drinking a good beer after
rehersal :-)), why do you want to play in a "lower-class" ensemble :-)

--
  Trond  Otto Berg
  Principal,  Stranda Music School, Norway