Re: City of Oxford appeal - walking on eggshells...(long!)..

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Andy Wooler wrote:

> I would make the point that band association/regional committees are all
> made up of dedicated people from within the movement - it's not always
> going to be possible to find a committee that doesn't have people who are
> connected somehow in the outcome of a dispute. I'm no lawyer but applying
> the sort of legal principles you mention to amateur organisations would
> leave a large majority of them with no ability to handle internal
> disputes.

Actually, I think those principles are there primarily to regulate amateur
organisations, possibly such as banding.  And principles such as those, of
making fair play be seen to be happening, should, in theory, be taken for
granted.  They are basically saying, in written form, what 'fair play' is,
and it seems everyone knows about that....... And believe me, I know how
dedicated bandsmen are on area committees and others - my father had a lot
to do with these committees back home.  I have no quarrel _at_all_ with
their dedication.

> To help us all to have a better understanding of the purpose of the
> regional committee, I quote paragraph 2 of the constitution of that
> committee: (nb - the copy I have is believed to be still current)
>
> "The committee is formed for the purpose of organising a Brass band
> Contest known as the London & Southern Counties Regional Contest from
> which the finalists to the National Brass Band Championships of Great
> Britain will be selected in accordance with rules laid down by the owners
> of that contest"
>
> It is important to note a) the purpose of the committee - simply to
> organise the one contest and b) that it will be run in accordance with
> rules laid down by the owners - the committee themselves are not the
> owners.

I really don't have any personal quarrel with the rules, or those who set
them out.  All I remember saying is that the committee did rather leave
themselves open to various accusations because of some of the things they
did, or more to the point the way they did them.

> As far as the question of relegation to 1st section is concerned, rule 15
> allows the regional committee to "individually grade any band on the basis
> of local knowledge if it is felt strict application of National Rules
> would be to the detriment of the band or other bands in any section" - if
> your band have indeed remained in the Championship Section, it is because
> the committee applied this rule. And in my opinion, quite correctly
> although one could argue I have a vested interest too - being the
> conductor of a 1st section band, I have no desire have to compete against
> bands of the standard of CoO!.

Thanks for the compliment.  However, that doesn't explain the particularly
harsh punishment which was meted out, when a lesser sentence could have
made the point sufficiently.  Especially if there were other registration
problems this year.  As I said, I've only recently moved here, so I don't
know history, but it seems to me that if there were more than us with
problems, they might have looked upon honest mistakes a touch more
leniently this time round.  And as for relegation - the way they've given
us points means that if we don't do well in the next few areas - _very_
well - we'll be back down with you, as I understand!:-)

> The correct place to resolve this is with whoever owns or manages the
> rules on behalf of the owners. (in this case, the NCC I believe).
> The purpose for which the Regional committee exists is expressed within
> their constitution - accept that and lets not try and turn this whole
> episode into a witch hunt against individual members of that committee.
> Without these people who volunteer to run contests, there wouldn't be any!

I'd again like to stress that I personally don't know anyone on the
committees round here, and I'd really rather not be accused of
witch-hunting.  As has been said before - THESE WORDS ARE WRITTEN BY
INDIVIDUALS, AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE BAND.  I have no grudge,
nor do I want to be accused of any, having lived here for all of six
months, and not knowing anyone,  And to answer your point, I believe we
are taking it to the NCC.  I only wrote what I did because it seemed that
people were getting a bit heated from the e-mails I was reading.  It was
not my intention for anyone to get heated over this one, as I said before.
I really didn't think I'd give anyone any offence - nor did I mean to
cause any.  I just tried to put some things down calmly and sensibly.  It
really would be nice if all this could be sorted without people falling
out over it.  I'm afraid I don't know you at all, mr. Wooler, so I have no
idea where you're coming from on this at all; I understand that perhaps
you feel the committee need a voice on these pages.  But I felt that my
e-mail actually leaned towards L&SC, if anything!  Many apologies for any
offence caused.  What I feel about the whole thing is neither here nor
there, really, for reasons which I'd like to keep to myself, if I may.
And no, I haven't left the band!!!!!!
Sleep well, everyone!
Beth